If your business requires the transportation of self-reactive chemicals or other materials that could easily combust, having the right shipping container is absolutely vital. The category of dangerous goods known as Class 4.1 flammable solids must be kept at the right temperature throughout the transportation process. Failure to do so could result in the destruction of your goods and/or injury to those involved in transporting them.
What Are Class 4.1 Dangerous Goods?
Dangerous goods that are labeled as Class 4.1 are known as flammable solids. These are not just combustible but burn more easily than the average combustible material — like paper or wood, for example. Many are self-reactive goods that can break down chemically if they are subjected to shock or rise above a certain temperature, even if no other substance acts upon them. When this happens, they can explode, burn out of control, produce toxic gases or some combination of these.
Types of 4.1 Flammable Solids
Thee are four types of flammable solids:
- Wettened explosives: Usually Class 1 Explosives that have been wetted to desensitize and suppress their explosive properties
- Self-reactives: Thermally unstable materials that can combust even without the introduction of oxygen
- Generic self-reactive materials: Self-reactive materials that, for various reasons, do not fall under category 2
- Readily combustible solids: Solids like matches or metal powders that easily ignite from sparks or friction
What Are Some of the Most Common Chemicals Listed as Class 4.1 Flammable Solids?
Some of the most common Class 4.1 flammable solids that require specialized containers for transport include:
- Calcium carbide
- Metal powders
- Alkali metals
- Aluminum phosphide
- Sodium batteries
Klinge Has Containers for Transport of Class 4.1 Dangerous Goods
If you need containers for Class 4.1 dangerous goods transport, we highly recommend the Klinge Dual Redundant Refrigerated Container & Integral Genset (Model NMR-262 & NMG-114). This is one of the safer containers you will find anywhere for transporting flammable solids. Keeping flammable solids well below room temperature, usually between 8 degrees Celsius and 25 degrees Celsius, is critical for making sure they remain stable during transport. This refrigerated container has two independent full-capacity refrigerated units for complete redundancy.
You will never have to worry when transporting your flammable solids that a sudden temperature spike will cause a conflagration — both units have separate thermostats and control circuits, so one can immediately kick in if something happens to the other one. The system employed is in compliance with the International Maritime Organization’s regulations for transporting of certain Dangerous Goods like flammable solids.
Combined with our diesel generator set, you have ultimate protection, as the generator will continue to deliver power to the refrigeration units even if power is suddenly lost or the unit is cut off from an external power source, as it may often be during transport.
This model has been time-tested to be reliable and dependable for hazardous chemicals like Class 4.1 flammable solids for decades and is the perfect choice to more safely transport your more dangerous goods.
Contact Klinge Corporation for Refrigerated Shipping Containers
For more information on our products, such as our cooling containers, tank containers, freezer units, and pharmaceutical containers, talk to one of our specialists at Klinge Corporation to identify which type of container you need. You can also request a quote if you already know your shipping requirements.
Klinge Chemical Refrigeration Containers
- Box Container Cooling With Heating Option
- Tank Container Refrigeration Units
- Tank Container Heating Units
- 12 kW Tank Container Heater Unit
- 6 kW Tank Container Heater Unit
- 7 kW Tank Container Refrigeration Unit
- Tank Container Refrigeration Unit
- Picture Frame Dual Refrigeration Unit
- 8ºC to -25ºC Dual Redundant Refrigeration Unit
- Dual Refrigerated & Dual Genset Container
- Tank Container Refrigeration Unit & Integral Genset
- Zone 2 Explosion-Proof Refrigerated Container
- Zone 1 Explosion-Proof Refrigerated Container
- ATEX 7 kW Tank Container Refrigeration Unit